When driving around or, better still, walking or hiking in Slovenia you cannot fail to notice the many wayside shrines. They come in all shapes and sizes but most are beautifully decorated, although some are quite simple. Nearly all are well cared-for.
Slovenia in regarded as a Catholic country and although a Slovene is not obliged to reveal their religious beliefs, the 2002 Census reveals that 57.8% of the population are Catholic.
We are not particularly religious but finding a new shrine is always a delight for us, especially when off the beaten track. Very often there are fresh flowers or a lit candle, even when the shrine is a good distance from the nearest road or house. Its all part of the magic that is Slovenia.
You will find shrines on many of our walks –
- Walk 2, A walk from Bled to Kupljenik, Slovenia
- Walk 4, A walk in through the Vintgar Gorge
- Walk 5, A walk in the countryside and villages near Bled
- Walk 9, A walk from Kranjska Gora with mountain views
- Walk 12, A walk beside the River Soča walk, Trenta
- Walk 13, A walk along the River Soča and around Bovec
- Walk 23, A walk in Zgornja Dolina, the Upper Valley of Bohinj
- Walk 28, A walk from Hrastovlje, Slovenia
- Walk 32, A walk from Rogaška Slatina
- Walk 33, A walk through the vineyards of Virštanj
- Walk 34, A walk on Velika Planina, Slovenia
- Walk 38, A walk in Robanov Kot
- Walk 39, A walk in Logarska Dolina, Slovenia
Leave a comment » »