All walkers will have their personal preferences for items of clothing and equipment, some carrying bulging rucksacks packed with everything needed for for all eventualities, some taking a more minimalist approach. Our recommendations are no more than that, but you should wear comfortable clothing that is appropriate for the weather, the season and the altitude at which you are walking, plus take an extra layer for emergencies.
- a comfortable pair of walking boots with good grip and ankle support. On our easy walks in the valleys a pair of sturdy walking shoes will suffice.
- waterproof and windproof jacket and leggings.
- enough layers to keep warm when you stop for a break and in the worst weather that you might expect. Look for items that wick. Do not wear jeans!
- socks that you know are comfortable.
- a warm hat. Also consider a sunhat.
- gloves. If you are walking high-level routes with cable protection, consider a pair of gloves with some kind of grip across the palms.
- a comfortable rucksack.
- map and compass and know how to use them! GPS systems are becoming increasingly popular, but a map and compass should still be carried. See our Slovenia maps page for more information.
- walking sticks (walking poles, trekking poles) – do your knees a favour, buy a pair and use them!
- water bottle – water sources are scarce in the limestone mountains.
- suncream/lip salve.
- sunglasses – in the mountains the glare off the limestone rock is considerable.
- a torch and spare batteries. Handy on one or two of our walks, but essential emergency kit in the mountains.
- First-aid kit
- mobile phone – emergency number is 112. Fully charge your phone’s battery before you go and keep your phone switched off until you need it to preserve the charge.
- a pencil and paper (for writing emergency messages).
Some extra equipment for high level and hut to hut walks
- self-belaying equipment for use on protected routes.
- ice-axe – consider taking one as snow can lie until late spring/early summer.
- bivy bag or emergency shelter.
- passport for ID in the huts.
- a set of spare clothing for the evenings in the huts.