Kamnik is a bustling town with a very attractive historical centre. It lies a little off the main tourist routes, so consequently many visitors to Slovenia give Kamnik a miss in their rush to see Bled or Ljubljana, which is a pity. Glavni trg and Šutna are the heart of the old town with the Little Castle (Mali Grad) and the Romanesque Chapel standing above them. Kamnik is a good base and is handily placed for walking in the Kamnik – Savanija Alps and on the famous Velika Planina.
Attractions in and around Kamnik
- Little Castle and the Romanesque Chapel – the castle dates back to the 11th century and the chapel (picture above) houses 15th century frescoes and has a superb rooftop view over the town.
- Šutna – the very attractive main street (closed to most traffic) of Kamnik. The Street’s centerpiece is the Church of the Immaculate Conception but look out for the unique shop signs as well.
- Old Castle (Stari Grad) – just ruins are left now, but the view is well worth the walk up through the woods. The Castle lies to the east of the town on Bergantov Hill, just across the Kamniška Bistrica River.
- Volčji Potok – Slovenia’s largest arboretum and very beautiful. Plenty of shade and ice-cream on a hot day! Open March – November, times vary. More information on the Volčji Potok website.
- Velika Planina – mountain summer grazing area, famous for its wooden shepherds huts. It is easily accessible by cable car (timetables here) and the walking is superb. Our Walk 36 explores this area.
We have two walks easily reached from Kamnik in our book.
Accommodation in Kamnik
Accommodation is a little limited, but there is one 4* hotel, the Malograjski dvor Hotel and some apartments available. There are also rooms, a Youth Hostel and two Camping Sites – Camp Resnik (500m from the town centre) and one beside the Velika Planina Cable Car. See the Kamnik Tourist Information Centre website for more details.
Kamnik is easily reached by public transport.
- Click here for up to date bus timetables from all Slovenian locations to Kamnik.
- Click here to access train timetables.
- Click here for language help reading timetables.
Kamnik has an excellent range of shops, and places to eat. The Kamnik Tourist Information Centre has lots of useful information and is located in Glavni trg.
Please leave a comment below, or contact us, if you have some up to date information that you think might be useful or any suggestions to improve Slovenia-walking.